Last week when Clair of mummydeals was here, she made an interesting comment. She was talking about some experiences she has had since starting her website, some of which involved free sightseeing trips given to her in hopes that she would blog about them and therefore, give the company free advertisment. Most of these trips involve traveling with a busload of other local bloggers. I immediately thought (and verbalized it, because that's what I seem to do best) what an interesting group that must be. You see, I have this thing with writers. No one intrigues me more than someone who has a way with the printed word.
But Clair was not so quick to join the fanfare. She said that she was one of the few who preferred her IRL over her URL. I had to ask her to explain. I know what a URL is, but an IRL?
IRL= In Real Life.
I like that. Of course I want to value my IRL over my URL But sometimes the URL is a quick, easy escape. It's the easiest place in the world to be superficial, or to create the persona you so want to be. It's what makes me not want to blog. I just want to enjoy my IRL. Forget the URL.
But I'm hoping that my URL can enhance my IRL, not the other way around. That's my hope for this blog, that what is written on here can enhance my literal world, and not just my virtual one.
No comments:
Post a Comment