I am one semester away from graduating college. In less than 5 months, I will don an unflattering but very celebratory black cap and gown. I will walk the wooden floor of the Grace Chapel stage and grab a simple piece of paper, one that cost me thousands of dollars and four years of blood, sweat, and tears.
I've been thinking that with the day coming so soon, I need to get serious about finding a place where I can put my education to use. While I'm in school, the last thing in the world I have time to do is apply for positions, fill out resumes, and all that jazz. So I decided that I need to make that a priority over Christmas break.
What I'm finding out is that applying for jobs is a bit intimidating. Scary. Frieky. Threatening. Terrorizing. Well, maybe not that bad, but it's not a little cake-walk job for Maria.
My straw-hat inhibitions make it hard for me to brag myself up on a resume. I end up making myself out to be a dumbo who would try her hardest to do the job right. I feel like I'm reduced to a few words on a paper that I have to use to sell myself to potential employers. Don't like.
And then Christian schools add the zingers with their doctrinal position questions. I imagine a school board of middle-aged men with pot-bellies and reading glasses pouring over my every word to make sure that not a single preposition is misplaced that may turn me into a heretic.
But slowly, timidly, I am approaching the process. I hope to have a few manila envelopes stuffed and sent by the end of the week. So if you run into me and I appear to be in a far-off land, I am probably working out the wording for a resume, or how to handle the doctrinal investigation.
No comments:
Post a Comment