Tomorrow morning's Bible class covers the topic of stories. We all have them. Some we love to tell; others we long to forget. Each story centers around decisions we made, either consciously or unconsciously, out of our worldview.
I pulled up my old xanga site and had a jaunt down memory lane as I remembered some old stories in my own neighborhood. I laughed as I saw pictures, cringed at all the spelling and grammar errors (please, save me from myself!), and reminisced on days gone by, on stories filed away.
I'm living a story right now. Sometimes it seems all storybook-ish. Other times it feels more like I'm stuck in the outtakes.
Funny how perspective fades when you're right in the middle of it.
Tonight I made myself a latte, turned on an instrumental pandora station, and lesson-planned for my World Lit class tomorrow. This evening that would have looked like a glamour shot a year or two ago. my first job...my own latte...wi-fi in a cute little house...
Unfortunately, tonight it mostly felt like work.
How quickly I forget that life is made of years, which are made of weeks, which are made of days, which are made of hours. In these hours stories are born, matured, and completed. In these moments, decisions arise. Decisions that matter, mostly much more than I think they do.
Doing life with middle schoolers has taught me that very few things stay the same from day to day. I have no promise of tomorrow.
But I do have today. Right here. Right now. Those 19 set of eyes reminded me of that this morning. Soon I will send them out the door for one final time.
But for today, they're still mine.
I purpose in my heart to makes these moments count. To allow the Master Author to pen something worthy. Something honorable to Him. Something including low-key evenings of prep. And yes, something middle-schoolish.
No comments:
Post a Comment